Dec 13, 2013

Benevolance or Greed - Utopia or Oblivion

I stumbled on this insightful compilation by vegan advocate Raini Pachanko. He calls it Utopia or Oblivion. It's a studious observation of the condition of our planet and urges us to take serious solutions to the problems:



I'm particularly drawn to one line that sums up the root of our disconnect from other species. "It's baffling that we are following rules that were written while we thought the world was flat." I see this time and again that followers of one religion or another all justify their habits and actions in the name of deity worship. Faith-based dogma that perpetuates the notion that animals are here "for" us and not "with" us, allows for the most ugly practices.

Eidul'adha
Kaporas
From ancient superstitions to those judgments made in the Supreme Court the voices of reason that rejects harming others no matter what the guise, are dwarfed among those gorging on the blood and drowning in the ignorance of it. 


And if anyone wants to claim that today we operate under different standards, well... They are just fooling nobody. It's all superstitious rationalizations for stealing defenseless lives.

The Price of Cheap Meat

We sacrifice babies to steal milk and to eat eggs. We sacrifice some piglets to eat others. We sacrifice wolves, coyotes, other wildlife and domestic dogs to eat lambs and cows. We sacrifice our oceans to feed livestock. And we sacrifice humans to eat meat. Greed and gluttony is our modern gOd. Insatiable consumption is our arrogant prayer.

It's repulsive. It's depraved. And any honest person secular or not, can see it's evil. 

269LIFE.COM
In this mix we also sacrifice any chance we ever had at being worthy of self-respect, dignity or honor. Let alone "mercy" from any gOd of a flat or spherical world. 


“Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?”~ Pierre Troubetzkoy


Soon nothing will forgive us. Not the land. Not the air. Not the seas or the soil. Certainly not our fellow Earthlings. For what we do to others we do to ourselves. And may God help us for our Curse of Ignorance. 





If you are living an ethical life I know you are as disgusted as I am with the worship of blood, money and human "privilege". Either you live ethically or "entitled". Vegans understand you can't do both.


Make Peace - Go Vegan

4 comments:

veganelder said...

When I was a teenager I once argued with my mother that I probably knew more than some dude in the bible who had no or little formal education. I don't remember what particular piece of information I was disputing but I clearly remember thinking that my mother might have to be hospitalized, so scandalized was she by such a notion.

Any rule for living that condones harm for innocent beings is not a rule for living...it is an admonition to be an a**hole.

Good stuff Bea!

Bea Elliott said...

Ah! I too come from a generation and circumstance of ritualized religious participation. It mattered little what one felt/knew personally, what they did outwardly was what counted. Anything to preserve the comfort of the group.

I remember often being challenged with the question "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it too?" Somehow that never applied to superstitious practices that were culturally embraced. To this day we who shake the pillars of organized religion, and what it condones in the treatment of others are seen as the universal bad-guys out to destroy everything "holy". Nonsense if you believe that individual life and autonomy is sacred. I do and I know you do too...

Tis the season - My DH calls it (Happy) HalloThanksMas. Consumerism run rampant. Holidays and religious worship sells a lot of stuff. The worst being lies and foolishness that costs the Earth it's treasures.

Thanks for the insight into your teen years... I think you and I would have hit it off even then! <3

Maria said...

I come across your blog when I stop at Ingrid's site. It has been such a long journey for me in terms of becoming fully Vegan. I became vegetarian as long as ten years ago, but becoming Vegan began later. You bring so many "slap in the face" truths here on this blog. I think it would be great to do a feature on sir Donald Watson, his life and work as a carpenter and founder of Veganism.

Bea Elliott said...

Hello Maria and thank you for your suggestion. I agree that Donald Watson's life and world views are a model that deserves a spotlight. He was a shining example of what a good life entails.

I hope you'll continue down your path of compassion. I don't know that any of us could say it is easy - But I know we'd all agree that it's worth it. We're on the right side of this issue. Time will surely prove it so.

Peace and continued health in the New Year.