Nov 25, 2009

I was for Animal Rights - Thoughtfulness for Turkeys

I didn't eat a vegan meal... But I know I was for Animal Rights I guess I was about 5 when this photo was taken... It's a very modest table setting - representing what a single mother could afford, made more special with a candle and a cake... I can't honestly remember back 50 years ago to what I was praying for then... I didn't have an understanding of war, or poverty or death. But what I do remember is what I thought of animals... I loved them! All of them! Whether their homes were in a barn, cave or tree. I was taught to be kind to them. And that their lives mattered. I understood that hurting them was a bad thing to do... At five, and a scant 40 pounds I would have defended terrible monsters who might do harm to my animal "friends". At five, I hadn't yet asked what I would soon learn to "forget" or rationalize; That it is wrong to cause unnecessary pain, suffering and death. At five, I lived my convictions for what merit they had... At five I was for "Animal Rights". And at 55 I am for Animal Rights anew! I've had decades to discover obscure truths about "necessity", "need" and "fairness" to Others. No, I did not "mourn" for the turkey's stolen life then... Nor do I do so today. To all who live thoughtfully - Happy ThanksLiving! Please Go Vegan

2 comments:

Ignatz said...

That is so lovely.

Bea Elliott said...

Why thank you Ignatz! It's good to connect with our inner child... We all had such kind beginnings - Being vegan gets us back to the justice of it all! :)